I have heard the following sentence in the Narcos:Mexico TV series:

No le haga al héroe por un pinche muerto.

I know that "hacerse el héroe" = to play hero / to be a hero, but this is the first time I see "hacerse al héroe. I assume both have the same meaning. Is the latter also usual? Is it a Mexican regionalism ?

Here, the most accurate translation means:

Don't try to play hero over a ... dead man.

There are 2 ways to say the same here:

Hacerse el héroe

Hacerle al héroe

I don't find any significant difference in meaning for those 2 expressions. It's just regionalisms, as you have stated correctly.

It's just 2 different ways to express the same idea, but the first would mean trying to be a hero, and the second trying to impersonate a hero. Both have the same meaning in that context. So I think it is just a matter of how you want to use it.

No le haga al is a negative imperative form of Hacerle al

No, it's not a regionalism, it's actually used in Spain too. It means as you said, to play a hero /act like a hero.

Notice that it's "hacerse al héroe" and not "hacerse el héroe", so it seems to be something different (in fact, I've never heard "hacerse al éroe"). – Charo Feb 16 '20 at 14:24
  • Me neither, that's why I assumed it's just a mistake and he meant to say hacerse el heroe – Capie Feb 16 '20 at 14:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.