What is the role of 'le' in the sentence:

¿Cómo le va?

And the role of 'te' in '¿Cómo te va?'

What is the role of 'le' and 'te' in the sentences like:

¿Qué te pasa?

¿Qué le pasa?

Does this answer your question? "Leísmo de cortesía" and consistency – Diego Jan 29 at 15:24
  • I think this post might answer your question better “Se” and “le” with “usted”, but always “te” with “tú” – Diego Jan 29 at 15:27
  • If anyone really wants to close this as a duplicate, I guess "All about datives" would be better than the two that have been proposed so far. But I think we should leave this open because it's quite specific, and it's focused on greetings. – aparente001 Jan 29 at 19:13
  • @Diego this is not a "leísmo de cortesía", because all the example sentences have an indirect object, not a direct object. You would not say * qué la pasa. I also do not think this is one of those datives in spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/26171/… (some may say "ethical dative" but I do not think it is that). I think this is a standard indirect object. – wimi Jan 30 at 12:16
  • @wimi Retracto mi voto para cerrar. Hice un par de sugerencias al OP, pero no puedo estar seguro de si alguna de ellas responde por completo a su pregunta o no. Estaría bien que clarificara si han ayudado o no, pero en cualquier caso, retracto mi voto y dejo que la comunidad provea de una respuesta adecuada (via post antiguo o nuevo) – Diego Jan 30 at 16:24

They are indirect objects. You can think of them like this:

• ¿Cómo le/te va? How is life treating you?

• ¿Qué le/te pasa? What's new with you?/What's wrong with you?/What's happening to you?

Le is formal, te is informal. That is, "le" corresponds to usted and te corresponds to .

Here is a chart showing subject pronouns and their corresponding indirect object pronouns:

Singular:
First person: yo, me
Second person informal: tú, te
Second person formal: usted, le
Third person: él/ella, le

Plural:
First person: nosotros, nos
Second person formal: ustedes, les
Second person informal: vosotros, os (in Spain)
Second person informal: ustedes, les (in Latin America)
Third person: ellos/ellas, les

An indirect object is something affected by the verb, but not directly acted on by the verb. For example, She told me a secret -- "me" is the indirect object.

Indirect objects in Spanish are similar to English, but not exactly the same. If you want to learn more about this topic, see All about datives, or: What's that funny "le" or "me" doing in there?.

| improve this answer | |
    Gracias por la colaboracion, @wimi. – aparente001 Jan 31 at 16:45

objeto indirecto , indirect object or complement in all of the cases,

1. le, meaning a él, le va bien, mal, ... but a él.
  2. te, le, a ti, a él, le pasa, te pasa, te pasa algo, algo is the direct object or complement, te or le does not refer to a place, so there is not other option, it is indirect complement
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.