Is there any difference in meaning between "tan pronto como", "en cuanto" and "ni bien" ? Example:

• Pagaré tu boleto tan pronto como / en cuanto / ni bien hagas la reserva. (= I will pay for your ticket as soon as you make the reservation)
    I see no difference at all. They all mean the same thing. – Gustavson Jan 19 at 1:54
    I had never heard "ni bien"! Between the other two, I feel like "tan pronto como" is a more meticulous instruction. – aparente001 Jan 19 at 4:42

They all mean the same.

As far as I can tell, the difference is that they are used in different regions. For instance aparente001 mentions above to never have heard "ni bien". My experience, having grown up in Argentina, is the opposite: "ni bien" is the most common, "en cuanto" is also common, and "tan pronto como" is understandable but sounds weird.

| improve this answer | |

I would prefer "en cuanto", which is the more neutral one. "tan pronto como" looks like a loan directly taking words from English. "Ni bien" is less common, maybe literary or outdated, perhaps a regional preference.

Of course, in slang Chilean Spanish, you would say "Pagaré el pasaje 'al tiro'" :-)

| improve this answer | |
  • +1 from me, and welcome to the site, ellamir! – aparente001 Jan 19 at 17:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.