I have heard the following sentence in the Narcos TV series:

Confiéseme, ¿ está arrepentida de haberse casado conmigo o qué?

Context: Pablo Escobar has decided to send his family to Germany. He is saying goodbye to his wife and says the sentence above.

What does "confiéseme" mean here? "Tell me" ? The only meaning of "confiarse" I have found in https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=confiarse was "to be overconfident".

The infinitive in this case Is "confesar", not confiar. That is, "confess to me, are you sorry to have married me or what?" – Conrado Jan 17 '20 at 1:36
    With "confiar" it would be "confíeseme". Again, a tiny accent changes the word completely... – wimi Jan 17 '20 at 10:01
  • why don't you use RAE it is way better, and your spanish is good enough to understand the RAE – Iria Jan 17 '20 at 11:44
    @IriaPoncelaBlanco thanks for the suggestion. I like to check WR first because it puts more usual meanings first, but I also use the monolingual RAE dictionary. In this specific case, it would have not mattered which dictionary I used because I have misunderstood the verb used in the sentence. – Alan Evangelista Jan 17 '20 at 16:31

When we conjugate "confiar," we need to put the accent on the letter "i", for example

Confíe Ud. en mí.

So that's not the verb being used here. This verb is confesar (to confess). This one is conjugated like this:

Confiese, doña Julieta, ¿Ud. le dio la última pieza de pastel a su nieto? (*Confess! Did you give the last piece of cake to your grandson?

For your sentence, there is an object pronoun, so it means "Confess [to me]" -- meaning, "Tell me the truth."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.