I see both Hefe and Jefe used all the time to describe "boss, chief" etc. Which is the most common/correct spelling?

The word "hefe" is not registered neither in the RAE's dictionary nor in the DAMER dictionary. When you say "all the time", could you specify a bit more? Do you read that word in texts from several authors and several countries? Or is it in a specific context? Maybe a specific work (text, translation, adaptation, subtitles, whatever)? – Charlie Jan 7 at 7:43
    @Charlie - It looks like a completely understandable mistake. See for example urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=El%20Hefe. Maybe you didn't know this, but there are many Spanish speakers in the US who are most comfortable speaking in Spanish but reading and writing in English. – aparente001 Jan 9 at 5:54
  • @aparente001 I didn't know that, actually. Reminds me of the "Esmarelda" character in Pulp Fiction, named like that because English speakers pronounce that word closer to the Spanish name "Esmeralda". I suppose then that "el hefe" would be a expression imitating the Spanish pronunciation for "el jefe" in English texts? – Charlie Jan 9 at 6:53
  • @Charlie - I don't know about the movie. I do know that the spelling of names in the US has gotten completely out of control in general. At any rate, yes, I do think the spelling "hefe" is the result of some understandable confusion on some people's parts -- maybe some Spanish speakers and some non-Spanish speakers. Here is an example (real life) person: She came to the US to be a nanny (au pair). She hadn't done much schooling in Ecuador. As an adult in the US she got a GED high school diploma with difficulty. She still prefers Spanish for talking but can read somewhat better in English. – aparente001 Jan 9 at 21:13
  • Preliminary answer (since the question hasn't yet been reopened): "Jefe is the standard spelling in Spanish. Hefe is an anglicised form (much like we get canyon from cañón) e.g. El Hefe (musician), el hefe (nightclub)." – brazofuerte Jan 10 at 12:28

Jefe, as Hefe is not accepted. I believe "hefe" is just jefe misspelled

| improve this answer | |
    Iria, aunque la pregunta es un poco ambigua (y seguramente será cerrada por no ser lo suficientemente clara) tú puedes mejorar/ampliar tu respuesta añadiendo otras formas, formales o coloquiales, de referirse a un jefe (ya que la parte de Jefe vs. Hefe ya la contestas). Por ejemplo, podrías incluir las definiciones de líder, patrón u otras (si te apetece, ya que como digo la pregunta posiblemente será cerrada) – Diego Jan 7 at 19:29
  • Iría, I'm going to differ from my compañeros in spite of their greater experience. I think your answer is concise and on point - +1 from me. – aparente001 Jan 9 at 4:51
  • What you say @aparente001 may be true and Iria may well be correct but at the moment in the absence of the clarification asked for by Charlie we are just speculating. If I heard jefe I would transliterate it as heffay. I would have thought hefe would rhyme with leaf. – mdewey Jan 10 at 16:03
  • In some southamerican countries, spanish speakers pronounce h at the beginning of the word like a soft j, or as the English h, the same sound that other countries have for j. That's where the confusion comes from. That's why I do believe that 'hefe' is just jefe wrongly typed – Iria Jan 10 at 16:30
    I disagree with the review comment. This does provide an answer to the question. – wimi Jan 10 at 18:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.