In mathematics a quiver is a multidigraph. It is a directed graph that allows multiple arrows and loops. The non-mathematical Wikipedia article on the quiver, corresponds to the Spanish article on carcaj o aljaba.

Is there a standard Spanish translation for the mathematical term?

  • 2
    ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre un Quiver y un multigrafo dirigido?
    – jachguate
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 5:46
  • 2
    Dado que tu pregunta requiere de un alto conocimiento de tal argot, creo que debes considerar su migración a math.SE
    – jachguate
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 18:05

2 Answers 2


I am not a mathematician, but, according to what I read in the link you provided:

a quiver is a directed graph where loops and multiple arrows between two vertices are allowed, i.e. a multidigraph

So, multidigraph is multigrafo in Spanish.

Hope this helps.

  • +1, Gracias Dante, sólo que un quiver parece ser algo más específico. Más bien pregunto no por una posible traducción, sino por una estándar, que ya esté en uso en el argot matemático.
    – c.p.
    Commented Jan 23, 2013 at 20:19
  • 2
    @JorgeCampos Hoy mismo se ha creado una propuesta en Area51.StackExchange llamado 'Mathematics in Spanish', podrías intentar preguntar allí: area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/50091/mathematics-in-spanish
    – mornaner
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57

In English, a quiver the container for the collection of arrows. So the vocabulary must come from archery.

Here's a list of Spanish archery terms http://www.lograrco.es/pdf/Diccionario.pdf they suggest carcaj

The spanish experts on quivers are Daniel Labardini Fragoso and Oscar Chacaltana. I wonder what word they use.



  • nice catch! you got +1
    – jachguate
    Commented Jan 28, 2013 at 7:57
  • It can be also aljaba, being a synonym AFAICS
    – jachguate
    Commented Jan 28, 2013 at 8:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.