"¿Podemos irnos al cine?" vs "¿Podemos ir al cine?"

Are there any differences in connotation? Which usage would be more common in Spain?

It depends. I would say that the second form is mostly used, if you are trying to find out whether such is a possible program or not

¿podemos ir al cine?

Now the other

¿podemos irnos al cine? [se nos va a hacer tarde para el comienzo de la película]

has the nuanced connotation of questioning whether we are ready to go. That program (already decided) could be risked or getting delayed; worried about not arriving on time for the movie you would then ask.your partner in such a way, to (finally) leave.

PS: Lastly, don't forget to use the opening question mark, —something important in Spanish as it preemptively sets the asking tone for reading and understanding it right

| improve this answer | |
    I agree, and in fact the way I'd expect to see the version with irnos would be ¿podemos irnos ya, (name-of-person-eg-Mamá)? I guess this is about added emphasis. See the canonical question All about datives, or: What's that funny “le” or “me” doing in there?. – aparente001 Dec 28 '19 at 16:54
  • @aparente001 is this one of those datives? Which one? I had understood it as a reflexive verb, "irse" (to leave) vs "ir" (to go). – wimi Dec 28 '19 at 22:05
  • @wimi - I was thinking it would be the Aspectual Dative, with emphasis, but I am not the expert on datives. However, Pablo did say that it "looks like a reflexive verb or a regular pronominal verb, but it's not truly reflexive and it differs from the pronominal verbs in that the pronoun is not compulsory." – aparente001 Dec 29 '19 at 5:14
  • I agree. And I think "podemos irnos ya" is like "can we leave now". It's about where you are going from (here) vs where we are going (al cine). – Walter Mitty Dec 30 '19 at 0:27

I don't agree with that and I am Spanish, I would say that the first one Podemos irnos al cine is in case that you want a fast answer. The movie may not be decided yet, but somehow you want a fast answer and now. The second one is more of asking permission without rushing things.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.