What's the meaning of this?

Llego sobre las 3

It means before, around, after, after but not by much?

The expression:

• llegar sobre la hora

or

• llegar sobre X hora (las 2, las 3, las 4)

means "arriving just in time", with absolutely no time or very little time left. The implication is that the arrival was close to being a late arrival, and the person (or a delivery, or a form of transportation) narrowly avoided it.

This use seems to be common in several Latin American countries:

• Mexico: El impresionante gol de Funes Mori sobre la hora en la final entre Monterrey y América de México (Source)

• Argentina: Liverpool ganó sobre la hora (Source)

• Uruguay: [...] sobre la hora optó por vestir la camiseta del “Rayadito” (Source)

• Chile: Leeds de Marcelo Bielsa igualó sobre la hora ante Preston y sigue sublíder de la Championship (Source)

| improve this answer | |
    I don't fully agree. If someone tells me Llego sobre las 3, I assume they will be arriving around 3, on a range of 10? 20? mins. Otherwise, in Spain, people would say llegaré a las 3 clavadas or similar. But it may be different depending on the country – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Dec 27 '19 at 14:31
  • @fedorqui In my country, "sobre" is used to express what I explained in my reply. For example, it is very usual to hear things like El equipo metió un gol sobre el final. – Gustavson Dec 27 '19 at 16:47
  • Ah right, then I may post an answer with the Spanish from Soain approach – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Dec 27 '19 at 17:07
  • @Gustavson. From your profile I see "your country" is Argentina. That is highly relevant information. I agree with fedorqui about the usage in Spain. There are of course different uses throughout the world, but knowing how you speak in "your country" is not of much use if you don't say which country that is. – Level River St Dec 27 '19 at 22:55
  • @LevelRiverSt It seems to be the case not only in "my country". – Gustavson Dec 27 '19 at 23:54

In Spain, someone saying Llego sobre las 3 sounds as a message being sent when somebody is notifying another about the approximate time they will be arriving.

If I heard this, I would assume that they will arrive somewhere between 2.45 and 3.15, that is, at 3 with some delay or advance.

Other options can be:

• Llego a eso de las 3
  • Llegaré hacia las 3

If that person would want to specify they will be exactly on time, they would say either of these:

• Llego a las 3 clavadas
  • Llego a las 3 en punto
| improve this answer | |
    So "llego sobre las 3" in Spain could be translated to English as "I'm going to arrive around 3". – Alan Evangelista Dec 31 '19 at 16:08
  • @Alan exactly!! – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Dec 31 '19 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.