Is it correct to use "(mucho) gusto en conocerlo" for a formal greeting?

My question is about the "lo", it sounds like the neutral "lo", a bit like the English pronoun "it". Isn't it the case?
I would rather use "conocerle", that seems more logical to me.

I've found that in Spanish forums, so I want to know if it's 100% a mistake, or if it's used in some areas. If it's a mistake, is it very common?

As a bonus, I suppose that both "en" and "de" could be used, isn't it?

Thank you.

• No. It is correct. The ending (pronoun) implies the subject depending on gender and number: conocerlo (a el/a usted masc.) conocerla (a ella/a usted fem.) conocerle (a el /a ella/a ud more common in Spain than in Latam.) conocerlos (a ellos/a ustedes), etc – DGaleano Dec 26 '19 at 13:47
  • Thank you. Could you turn it into an answer please? That's a question/answer that could be interesting for a lot of people wondering the same. I always though that "lo" would be neutral, I always read that in grammar books. – Quidam Dec 26 '19 at 13:49
  • I'm made a comment to help you solve this quickly but I did not make it an answer because I think this has been answered before. I have not been able to find that answer yet but I guess soon someone will mark this a as a duplicate :-) – DGaleano Dec 26 '19 at 13:52
  • Related question: spanish.stackexchange.com/q/670/11102 – DGaleano Dec 26 '19 at 13:58
    @aparente001 RAE now officially also accepts the use of le as a direct object when the direct object is a man (RAE's word, meaning "masculine person"). So "Encantado the conocerle" is also fine. But lo is what is originally correct, and what I defend because I am kind of a purist... I will update my answer though. – wimi Dec 26 '19 at 18:25

"Conocerlo" is correct because "lo/la" is used for direct objects, while "le" is used for indirect objects. See here for more information. The verb "conocer" is transitive and takes a direct object, so it requires "lo" or "la".

However, the use of le for a direct object when the direct object is a man (masculine person) is so widespread that it has also been accepted by RAE. This means that "Mucho gusto de conocerlo" and "Mucho gusto de conocerle" are both fine if referring to a man, but one must say "Mucho gusto de conocerla" for women.

I would not use "en" in that sentence, I think only "Mucho gusto de conocerlo" is correct. Another option is to say "Mucho gusto" alone.

| improve this answer | |
  • I like your explanation of the object pronoun. I'm not so wild about your second paragraph, though. Prepositions can be so squishy. – aparente001 Dec 26 '19 at 16:23
    @aparente001 which preposition would you use in this case? Honestly, I am used to "Encantado de conocerlo", and no preposition sounds good to me with "Mucho gusto ___ conocerlo", though "de" sounds less bad than "en"... – wimi Dec 26 '19 at 18:31
  • Thanks for adding the "le" variant. Maybe this is a regional thing and you might want to add that. I get soo confused about the whole lo/le issue that you should not blindly follow any suggestion from me about that topic, though. // I'm used to hearing "de" but I have the impression it's okay to say "en." Maybe next week others will start to chime in. – aparente001 Dec 26 '19 at 21:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.