Usually I translate "an offer of something to someone" to Spanish as "una oferta de algo a alguien", eg una oferta de trabajo a un candidato". However, I have recently heard the following sentence in the Narcos TV series:

Rechazaron nuestra oferta para la amnistía

Is there any difference in meaning between "oferta de algo" and "oferta para algo"? Is the latter usual in all Spanish speaking countries?

"oferta de algo" is used when "algo" is the thing being offered.

"oferta para algo" is used to introduce the field where the offer was, is, or will be made.

In:

• Rechazaron nuestra oferta de amnistía.

the idea is that they refused the offer of an amnesty: they don't want the amnesty.

In:

• Rechazaron nuestra oferta para la amnistía.

both parties had agreed on the idea of an amnesty but not on its terms. Therefore, they refused our terms to declare an amnesty, but not the amnesty itself. We might modify the terms and they might accept them.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the answer! Tricky. I thought that "rechazaron la amnistía" would be used to express the first meaning. – Alan Evangelista Dec 16 '19 at 16:25
  • @AlanEvangelista, no es lo mismo. – alvalongo Dec 16 '19 at 17:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.