I have heard the following sentence in the Narcos TV series:

Finalmente caímos en la cuenta de que teníamos que encontrar a alguien sin la ayuda de Suárez.

It was the first time I heard this expression. Is there any difference in meaning between "caer en la cuenta" and "darse cuenta" ? Is the former specific to any country?

1 Answer 1

Both expressions are similar.

However, "caer en la cuenta" is less usual than "darse cuenta", and this is because "caer en la cuenta" suggests a more extraordinary or less expected realization, one that is reached after a longer or more intricate process. Notice that the example uses the adverb "finalmente" (eventually).

I would translate "caer en la cuenta" as "it dawned on (sb)", while "darse cuenta" is just "realize".

• Thanks for the answer! The creators of Narcos English subtitles translated "caer en la cuenta" in the same way you did. Dec 15, 2019 at 0:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.