I heard the following sentence in the Narcos TV series:

Pero sí sabes adónde está escondido, cierto?

As "saber" is not a verb of movement, shouldn't "dónde" be used instead of "adónde" ?

The construction

Sabes adónde está escondido

is wrong according to the DPD, see the second point:

1. En el español actual debe evitarse el uso arcaico de adónde, a dónde sin valor de movimiento: «Me preguntó Carlitos, mi hijo, que adónde había estado» (LpzPáez Herlinda [Méx. 1993])

This use seems to have been commom in the past and not be correct now. The correct sentence in your case would be

Pero sí sabes dónde está escondido, cierto?

• As the line is said by a Colonel in the TV series, I guess it is a common Spanish error, even for native speakers? Dec 14 '19 at 14:34
  • @Alan yes, it is not uncommon to hear adónde implying movement. It is not common in my area, and it does sound "funny" to me, but it happens more in other areas. (Then again, afuera without movement also sounds funny to me but it is accepted by RAE).
    – wimi
    Dec 14 '19 at 15:05
  • @Alan (I meant "it is not uncommon to hear adónde without implying movement")
    – wimi
    Dec 14 '19 at 15:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.