Is there any difference in meaning between "parecer" and "parecerse a"? Example:

• Eso no parece una barricada.
  • Eso no se parece a una barricada.

Take a look at these sentences in English:

• This doesn't appear to be a pumpkin. [Context: someone tried to make a Jack-o-Lantern by carving a gourd, or a honeydew melon.]

• This doesn't look like a pumpkin. [Context: someone painted a pumpkin white and drew cat features on it. The result is interesting. Even though it started out as a pumpkin, it now no longer looks like one. I saw this today in a Martha Stewart magazine in a waiting room.]

To be able to clarify your two proposed sentences in a precise way, we would need some context. But hopefully my two examples can open you up to some of the possibilities.

• As my examples don't have the verb "ser", I didn't understand the analogy with "appear to be". Is it related to "parecer" or "parecerse" ? Dec 14 '19 at 5:20
    "Appear to be" is expressed in Spanish as "parecer" or "parece ser." "Se parece a" means "[Subject] looks like (is similar to)". Actually, come to think of it, regarding your first bullet, I think I would rather say, "Eso no parece ser una barricada" in most contexts (but maybe not all). Dec 14 '19 at 6:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.