If someone says to you: "te abrazo" and you want to answer simply "[hug] you too", can you answer in Spanish the following: "te también"?

Or my versions below would be more correct:

"Igualmente"

"A ti también"

Or natives would most likely respond even with full version "te abrazo también"?

• First "te abrazo" sounds weird. Could you be talking about "¿te abrazo?" as a question?. If it is so then an answer would be simply "si" or "claro (que si)". "Te abrazo" means "I hug you" that for me sound weird in english too.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:11
  • I mean exactly "I hug you", not in question form. Actually, heard sometimes in informal speech people saying ór writing (in chat, for example) "hug you''.
    – Alex
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:17
    So in Spanish it would be "un abrazo" which means "I'm sending you a hug"
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:20

1 Answer 1

The most common ways to respond to

Te abrazo

would be

Yo a ti también

Y yo a ti

Igualmente

But te abrazo is uncommon in many areas. A more common sentence to send a hug to someone is

Un abrazo

to which you would respond with

Igualmente

A ti también

The sentence te también is gramatically incorrect.

• "Te abrazo" sounds weird to me. I guess the question is about «¿Te abrazo?» as a question and then an answer to that would be more like "si" instead. Don't you think?
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:16
  • Good you added "un abrazo". The OP might be thinking about that one instead
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:17
  • @DGaleano I assumed the OP is referring to un abrazo, I am not completely sure. I have now clarified that te abrazo is not common with that meaning.
    – wimi
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:20
    I agree wimi. "Un abrazo" is very common while I've never heard anyone saying "te abrazo" but I'm aware of regional differences so it might be used somewhere. +1
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 12, 2019 at 19:21
  • I agree but it's pretty easy to fix: Te doy un abrazo. The reciprocal response is, as wimi suggested, "Y yo a tí." Commented Dec 13, 2019 at 7:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.