I'm a beginner of Spanish language. I came up with the following sentence on Easy Spanish Step-by-step by Barbara Bregstein.

In lesson 12, there's a sentence:

No puedo escoger entre el de nata y la torta con crema y fruta.

My understanding is:

I can't choose between the cream and the cake with cream and fruit.

However, I cannot figure out why it's not "entre la nata y la torta" as nata is a feminine noun.

Thank you for your explanation in advance!

I wonder if the first cake is using "el" because it's un pastel. – aparente001 Dec 10 '19 at 7:02

Let me change an ingredient in your sentence because I'm not sure how English speakers differentiate nata from cream but those two are different from an Spanish point of view.

No puedo escoger entre el de chocolate y la torta de crema y fruta.

Notice that I've highlighted the preposition "de" that you have omitted in your English translation.

You can translate that sentence as

I can't choose between the chocolated one and the cake with cream and fruit.

where chocolated means

having or containing chocolate

As pointed by @Traveller, more naturally you can just say

I can't choose between the chocolate one and the cake with cream and fruit

The first option is not chocolate by itself, it's a dessert whose main ingredient is chocolate.

In your original sentence, the first option is the dessert made of nata - being "of" the usual English translation of "de" - where dessert made has been omitted.

No puedo escoger entre el (dulce hecho) de nata y la torta de crema y fruta.

| improve this answer | |
    More naturally, it could be translated as “I can’t choose between the chocolate one or the cake with cream and fruit”. – Traveller Dec 10 '19 at 8:18
  • @Traveller I wasn't completely sure. Updating ... Thanks! – RubioRic Dec 10 '19 at 8:23
  • Thank you! Now, I understand. – Wang Zong'an Dec 10 '19 at 13:37
    After looking at the Wikipedia article I can see what the difference between nata and crema is but I do not think there is an equivalent pair of words in English. – mdewey Dec 10 '19 at 16:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.