Is "Jugo de china" common in Spain, or is it common in America?

Is it rather informal?

If it's used in Spain, is it rather "zumo de china"?

I didn't find in the dictionaries if it was informal, the regional uses, and if it's more used with jugo or zumo.

• In Mexico I have only heard jugo de naranja although on product labels I have seen "zumo." There is a small citrus fruit called "mandarina" (which does seem to have a connection with China). – aparente001 Dec 8 '19 at 19:03
  • In Mexico, there is a phrase China Poblana. It's a dress, not a fruit. – Walter Mitty Dec 10 '19 at 21:17
  • what is the origin of "China poblana"? – Quidam Dec 11 '19 at 8:06

The use of the word china meaning naranja (orange) seems to be limited to some parts of Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic, according to RAE's Diccionario de americanismos. This meaning of the word china is not documented in the Diccionario de la Lengua Española (DLE, RAE).

In Spain, we do not use the word china with this meaning. We say zumo de naranja to refer to orange juice.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you! So the word "china" is not understandable in Spain. And it's also informal? – Quidam Dec 8 '19 at 22:41
    @Quidam the word china is used in Spain meaning female Chinese [adjective or noun, not informal] , or small stone [not informal] or small piece of hash(drug) [slang] . – wimi Dec 9 '19 at 6:44
  • But is "china" as fruit informal in any country? – Quidam Dec 9 '19 at 9:46
  • @Quidam that I cannot answer, as I am not from those countries. Hopefully someone else will know. – wimi Dec 9 '19 at 9:50
  • There are a lot of Argentine tango songs referencing a "china." Fortunately "jugo de china" is not one of them. – aris Dec 9 '19 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.