I hear this phrase often from waiters at restaurants when a patron is leaving, but they say it so quickly that I can't recognize what they say; it seems that the last word is "bien" and the whole phrase consists of 2-3 words.
Any ideas?

que le vaya bien, que esté bien, etc. – aris Nov 7 '19 at 3:38
    @aris sounds like the first one. Why don't make it an answer? – user626528 Nov 7 '19 at 3:45
  • Que le vaya bien -- definitely. It's as ubiquitous as "Enjoy the rest of your day" has become recently in the US -- or more, even. To a tourist or obvious foreigner, it might be Que te vaya bien. // Don't be shy about asking people to repeat, more slowly, or even to write down what they said. – aparente001 Nov 7 '19 at 6:10

"Que le vaya bien" literally means "Farewell"

in some places people still use

"Vaya con Dios" for the same purpose which is equivalent to "Godspeed"

Its an ubiquitous phrase to use when parting ways with someone you don't really know or are close with, hence the formal mode "Que le vaya bien" instead of the informal "que te vaya bien"

Why would a server bid farewell to his patron? (Something i've rarely seen in the states, but it's an everyday occurrence in mexico.)

Well , It's simply good manners, a show gratitude for the tips received, and plain good business practice.

| improve this answer | |

Tal y como indicó aris en los comentarios, puede tratarse de distintas opciones:

• Que le vaya bien
  • Que esté bien

As indicated by aparente001:

Que le vaya bien -- definitely. It's as ubiquitous as "Enjoy the rest of your day" has become recently in the US -- or more, even. To a tourist or obvious foreigner, it might be Que te vaya bien.

• añado respuesta en modo wiki para que se vean los comentarios dados bajo la pregunta – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Nov 25 '19 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.