Good afternoon,

I got a bit confused regarding indirect object pronoun "Le".

For example, "Me gustaría decirle" would translate as "I would like to tell him/her/You". Here everything seems clear, as I would clearly associate "le" with "him/to him". So I always can easily use in everyday's speech something like this: "Ask him" - "Pregúntale" or "Give to him" - "Dale", but examples below seem not to follow the rule above:

1) "Me gustaría le continuaras" - "I would like you to continue". Here "le" is not used in the meaning "him/to You". So why simply not to tell like this: "Me gustaría que continuaras".

2) "Los hombres de Doyle le tienen miedo" - Doyle's guys are scared of him. Here "le" is not used in the meaning "him". So why simply not to say like this: "Los hombres de Doyle tiene miedo de él".

3) Same here, but in plural: "¿No les temes?" - "And are you not scared of them?"

4) "Ahora le relevo de sus obligaciones." - "I relieve you of your obligations now". Here "le" is used to say "take from you", but not "give to him/You". So Here why not to say like this: "Ahora relevo usted de sus obligaciones".

Additional separate example that I never encountered before:

5) "Me gustaría le pedimos que nos ayuden" - "I would ask you to help us." Here why not to say like this: "Me gustaría pedirle que nos ayuden". I don't understand why "pedir" is in nosotros form (in the original sentence). Even though use of "le" here I can understand. Maybe the correct translation to English would be: "I would like that we ask you to help us".

Perhaps there are rules for this, but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Appreciate your help in advance.

There are several confusions among the questions. Number 1 seems to be a mistake or a truncated sentence. Numbers 2 and 3 are the same and refer to different but equivalent argument types to temer and tener miedo. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 show confusion between clitic and full object pronouns. Number 5 is a mistake.
    – pablodf76
    Oct 5 '19 at 14:03
  • Dear pablodf76, I looked at the explanation in the link given by walen, but still would like to double check. Ok, so numbers 1 and 5 we exclude. Could you please explain why le and les are used in numbers 2, 3 and 4? Which types of dative case is used in each case and why?
    – Alex
    Oct 5 '19 at 14:27
    Thank you. Acknowledged/
    – Alex
    Oct 5 '19 at 16:49
    I don't know what the best approach would be for this. Is it good practice to (radically) edit a question (meaning: taking out large chunks of it) after it has been discussed and/or closed?
    – pablodf76
    Oct 5 '19 at 17:43
    @pablodf76 - When a question gets closed, OP is advised to edit the question to resolve whatever problem resulted in its closure. Also, the community is encouraged to do civic-minded editing to "rescue" a question. (In this case, I think OP would be the one to clarify.) As an example, if the question isn't clear, the way it is originally written, and then it gets closed, hopefully OP provides the needed clarification. Oct 7 '19 at 4:43

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.