Are both the following sentences usual? Do they mean the same or does the first one imply a great effort? Example:

• Él se hizo doctor.
  • Él se volvió doctor.

The answer is no. Those sentences are not usual. Professions involving a course of study will not take verbs like "hacerse" or "volverse". The usual verbs are "llegar a ser" or "recibirse/graduarse de/como":

• Después de varios años, llegó a ser doctor / se recibió de doctor / se graduó como doctor.

Occasionaly, "convertirse" can be used. This will suggest a process, a transformation, perhaps similar to "llegar a ser":

• Después de varios años, se convirtió en doctor.

"hacerse" can be used to indicate a secondary or auxiliary process, not dependent on education but on experience:

• Después de un tiempo, se hizo médico de frontera.

"volverse" will only be used with adjectives or with nouns denoting a quality:

• Con el tiempo, se volvió un médico famoso / un héroe de la medicina.
  • I found an exception! Y Dios se hizo hombre. – aparente001 Sep 23 at 0:59
  • @aparente001 "hombre" is not a profession. – Gustavson Sep 23 at 2:03
  • Correct! I'm not disagreeing with your answer. I just felt a tiny satisfaction finding something of the form Se hizo [alguien]. – aparente001 Sep 23 at 3:18
  • @Gustavson Could volverse be used to describe a situation where a person returned to being a doctor after a period of time spent doing some other job? – Traveller Sep 23 at 7:24
  • @Traveller Well, it could, but it would be very unusual to refer to a person ceasing to be a doctor and then becoming a doctor again. Being a doctor is a permanent profession, not just a job. – Gustavson Sep 23 at 9:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.