Earlier I was making some attempts to talk with others online about a video game using my not very great Spanish when I realized I had no idea how to say 'playthrough', I just went with 'guardada' instead, which to my understanding would be something along the lines of 'save file', which I think (hope!) would convey the idea fine.

Anyways back to the point, how would you say 'playthrough'? I thought about just saying 'juego', since in English if you say 'game' instead of 'playthrough' it will typically still make sense.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, a playthrough is a noun for one time playing through a video game. For example, if you had beaten the game before and were going to start all over and play it again you might say "I'm starting a new playthrough."

I think the word you are looking for is partida, but I don't think it conveys the same meaning as playthrough.

Partida is just a synonym for juego, which is game as you know. So when a videogame prompts you to

Start a new game

You can translate that in Spanish as:

Empezar un nuevo juego.
Empezar una nueva partida.

Maybe partida is more used when the game is suitable for two or more players at the same time and the game is planned to end quickly:

¿Echamos unas partidas al Mario Kart?

But when the game is long, with savegames and you are going to continue from where you left last time, you probably say something like

Voy a seguir con el Dark Souls.
Voy a jugar un rato al Dark Souls.

But now we have the word playthrough which I understand it means "to play a game from start to end", even if it is a long one. When you complete a long game you usually say in Spanish:

Acabo de pasarme el Halo.

This means that you beat the game. So in Spanish if you want to say "I'm starting a new playthrough" you can say voy a pasarme el juego [otra vez].

| improve this answer | |
    That works for the specific example given, but it's also common to see, for instance, video titles in YouTube that are just "Super Mario RPG: Full Playthrough (Part 1)". In that context I'd probably say "juego entero/completo" or maaaybe with "jugada" to emphasize it's not a download link haha. – user0721090601 May 22 '19 at 16:10
  • I agree with you that partida doesn't work for a game played by one person. – aparente001 May 23 '19 at 3:28
  • i think FULL PLAYTHROUGH is a pleonasm, a playthrough is a game played from beggining to end, so there's no one word translation for this idea in spanish – Mike May 23 '19 at 14:33
  • @aparente001 I disagree with you: "partida" is perfectly fine for a single player video-game. I think that "voy a pasarme el juego otra vez" is a great choice. – RubioRic May 24 '19 at 6:14
  • @RubioRic - Okay, good to know. (The marathon video solitaire game world is completely foreign to me.) – aparente001 May 24 '19 at 14:58

Ronda

Voy a empezar otra ronda.

Meaning, I'm going to start another round. I think your fellow players will understand this well.

I don't live in the video game world, but this is the term I would use in the sit-across-the-table-from-the-opponents game world.

Documentation: DRAE says: 7. f. En varios juegos de naipes, vuelta o suerte de todos los jugadores. Collins says: 5. [de cartas] hand, game.

| improve this answer | |
    A round could work for board/card games and short video games meant to be done in one sitting, but I think for a game which takes hours to complete and isn't expected to be done all at once it might not be the best terminology, at least in English. – DJ Spicy Deluxe May 22 '19 at 21:38
  • @DJSpicyDeluxe - Oh god, it takes hours to complete? It boggles the mind. I guess, then, your sentence could be Voy a empezar otra vez, Vamos de nuevo, Otra vez, muchachos, Ahí vamos de nuevo, Dale otra vez, or if the person has a music background they could say Da capo, a ver si [something about what we're hoping to accomplish this time around]. – aparente001 May 23 '19 at 3:23
  • The game I was talking about takes 20-30 hours to complete, there are games that take a lot more too. – DJ Spicy Deluxe May 23 '19 at 3:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.