I've heard that "jugar" is the only 'u'-to-'ue' stem-changing verb. Is this true?

Yes.

All stem changing verbs fall into one of three categories (e→ie(→i), e→i(→i), o→ue(→u), where -ir verbs do the second change). There are exactly nine exceptions in three special categories:

• i→ie→i
    adquirir, perquirir, inquirir, preadquirir
  • e→ie→e
    cernir, concernir, decernir, discernir
  • u→ue
    jugar

The reason for jugar being a special case is that it was originally jogar (and thus o→ue) but for some reason as the vowel shifted the stem change remained.

| improve this answer | |
  • Nunca había oído decernir, que veo que es lo mismo (pero en desuso) que discernir. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' May 7 '19 at 12:20
  • @fedorqui yo tampoco hasta hace poco :-) – user0721090601 May 7 '19 at 12:21
  • El verbo "soldar" aplica tambien? – gustavovelascoh May 7 '19 at 13:04
    @gustavovelascoh soldar es un verbo típico de alternancia o→ue, no hay nada excepcional en su conjugación. – user0721090601 May 7 '19 at 13:08
  • This would make a good canonical answer -- you gave a complete run-down. I'll ask a general question -- would you mind repeating this answer there? If there's anything to add to make it complete, please do. – aparente001 May 8 '19 at 7:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.