The term PERSEGUIDO can mean many things in Argentina. It can be used as a term in justice. Example: The murderer is being PERSEGUIDO by the federal police.

How did the following special meaning of perseguido develop in Argentina?

No seas perseguido.

We use this expression when a person interrupts a conversation, making it about him or her. In this context, "No seas perseguido/perseguida" means Do not think we're talking about you when it's not like that or This isn't about you / It isn't about you.

In Argentina the meaning of ''Perseguido'' is when someone is concern about something.

E.g.: ''No te van a decir nada, no seas perseguido''.

That means: They will not tell you anything, do not be "persecuted".

You can also interpret how: you will be fine, do not think about it.

I hope you understand!

Another example is when you did a test and you know that is correct, but for some reason, you think you will fail. In that case you are being ''Perseguido''

• Do you mean, don't be paranoid, don't act like a "perseguido" (someone who's being persecuted unfairly)? – aparente001 Apr 28 '19 at 5:07
  • Yes, I do. Another example is when you did a test and you know that is correct, but for some reason, you think you will disapprove. In that case you are being ''Perseguido''. – Knarf Apr 28 '19 at 20:18
  • I think you mean "fail," not "disapprove." "Disapprove" is, for example, what the worst kind of mother-in-law does about everything about you. – aparente001 Apr 29 '19 at 11:35
  • Yes, i meant that – Knarf Apr 29 '19 at 13:33
  • Great, Knarf, now you can have some fun learning how to edit a post. You can add this additional example by clicking where it says "edit" under your post. – aparente001 Apr 29 '19 at 22:52

"Perseguido" by definition is somebody who is being followed. However, in Argentina it can be used as a slang to refer to somebody who overthinks stuff and tries to change their reality to make it look like everything goes against them.

For example, a gay person can be a "Perseguido" if they are actively looking for any little reference that may discriminate them, and they often change in their minds what they see to accommodate to their belief.

• There's an idiom in English that seems to fit what you described: He has a chip on his shoulder. – aparente001 Apr 29 '19 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.