In How to pronounce 'c++' in Spanish I see some comments there debating how is the language C# called in Spanish.

Wikipedia states si sharp is the way they pronounce it in English. I have found a thread [OT] - Como se pronuncia C#, y C++? in a Spanish C++ forum where someone says:

En cuanto a C# lo que más he oido yo es la pronunciación inglesa, y en cuanto a oírla me refiero a que la gente la usa tambien aquí. Es decir, C sharp.

While others jokingly (and remembering that C# is in fact C++++) state:

Si eso es así, el C# debería ser "Ce plus plus plus plus".

And others note that the # symbol is called almohadilla in Spanish or focus on the musical symbol that sets the note as sostenido, and hence state:

C# es "C Sharp"... En plan coña lo llamamos (efectivamente) "C almohadilla" o "C sostenido", pero creo que casi todos hemos aceptado el nombre en inglés.

So: what is the common way to say C# in spoken Spanish? Does it change depending on the country?

"Ce plus plus plus plus". Puaaaaaj!!! si el IEEE es el "ay i cubo" o "i e cubo" (I triple E en inglés) C# debería ser en todo caso "Ce plus cuarta". :-) – Diego Apr 26 '19 at 19:41
+50

I checked a number of videos on YouTube to find out how C# is pronounced "in the wild". Below are the links (with approximate timestamps in parentheses):

Si sharp:

Ce sharp:

"Si sharp" clearly dominates, but "ce sharp" is also rather common. I could not find any examples of "ce plus plus plus plus", "c almohadilla" or "c sostenido".

| improve this answer | |
  • Great investigation, thanks a lot! So the English way of saying it clearly dominates. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jul 24 '19 at 10:52

I've heard "Ce almohadilla" but I personally use "Ce Sharp", saying C as the spanish letter and "#" as the english word "Sharp". I know, mixing languages is a bad practice but that's what people say in Spain.

I'm an engineering informatics student from Peru. So far I've only heard the "C sharp" (as in English) and "Ce sharp" ("Ce" as the letter name in Spanish), being the latter the most common one in my context.

Is the C pronounced as in English (/siː/) or as the regular Spanish name of the letter (/se/), though? Or is that the difference you’re alluding to when you write “C” and “Ce”? – Janus Bahs Jacquet Apr 27 '19 at 7:30
  • Yes, that's the difference I'm alluding when writing "C" and "Ce", sorry for the ambiguity. The first "C" is pronounced as in English (/siː/) and "Ce" is pronounced as the letter in Spanish (/se/). Both "sharp"s are pronounced the same (as in English). – zazke Apr 30 '19 at 2:04

Ce Gato/Gatito (as a joke in college/university)

Because of the "gato" or "tres en linea" game.

PS. "Gato" means Cat

enter image description here

I like this so much better than almohadilla. – aparente001 Jul 29 '19 at 14:33
    Me podría acostumbrar a llamarle así – psosuna Aug 2 '19 at 16:57
    Interesantemente, en inglés se llama tic-tac-toe (el juego) y cuando termina en empate se le refiere como un "cat's game" al resultado. Me pregunto si de ahí deriva la referencia a gatito – psosuna Aug 2 '19 at 16:58

En Cuba, alguien ajeno a la programación podría decir "Ce numeral", sin embargo, entre programadores se usa "Ce sharp" o "Ci sharp".

En mi empresa decimos "Ce sharp" y "Ce más más", aunque algún empleado recien llegado dice "Ce plus plus", al final termina adaptandose al "Ce más más".

• entiendo que digan "Ce mas mas" y "Ci plus plus", pero "Ci mas mas" o "Ce plus plus" suena algo ridiculo xD – Mike Jul 29 '19 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.