I read about unsanded grout in a DIY blog and want to buy it. But I don't know how to translate that to spanish. What is it called in Spanish or Castellano?


I know in Mexico, "grout" is called "yeso". I have heard that in some countries, don't ask me which ones, it is also called "lechada".

About the "unsanded" part, honestly I have no idea what that means. At best I can only infer that since sand means "arena" maybe, big emphasis on the maybe, it means that the mixture of "yeso" or "lechada" should not contain sand.

I have looked for "yeso" and "lechada" in RAE and also for "yeso" in wikipedia but I was not lucky in trying to get more information for you.

  • forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2439219 — “Unsanded” means literally “without sand”. It is used for several things, such as crystal tiles — without sand, it won’t hurt/leave marks in the crystal.” – Gallaecio Oct 29 '12 at 19:53
  • The shop owner did know what we mean by using the word lechada. – juergen d Oct 29 '12 at 20:04
  • @juergend: Maybe now days it is much more common to use "yeso" instead. I'm glad that I was able to help. – Sergio Romero Oct 29 '12 at 20:14
  • I just want to mention that, in Spain, lechada can be misunderstood and, instead of grout, people can think about semen. It's very, very vulgar, but, frankly, it's the first that came up to my mind. To keep it in mind, just in case. – itziki Jun 5 '14 at 15:17
  • Word of warning: You are probably going to run into problems with folks who don't know the difference between mortar, grout and caulk. – wordsmythe Jul 7 '14 at 17:49

Mi esposa es de Perú y ella me dijo la palabra para rellenar grietas es 'masilla'.

I looked up 'masilla' and the translators online refer to it as 'putty', but it may be a regional word. She added that 'yeso' is used to refer to the material that is used for a cast on a broken bone.


En México se le conoce como "boquilla" es el pega azulejo pero tiene que ser sin arena, (non sander) Muy tarde mi respuesta, perdón! Espero aún te sirva!


I've been searching for that too and what I found was this: "Adhesivo para pegar azulejo mosaico" o "pega-azulejo".


Ok, it isn't "yeso", but it could be Pegacort, which is the "adhesivo para azulejos" and it should be without sand "sin arena", because Pegacort comes with or without sand. "Pegacort sin arena".

  • 'Pegacort' is a comercial brand, not the name of a material. – Envite Aug 20 '14 at 11:43

In Mexico the thing that people use for tiles is Pegazulejo, tile is "azulejo" so a raw translation of pegazulejo is "glue-tiles", "the thing that stick tiles" and it needs no sand.


Sand as a verb is translated as "lijar" in Spanish, so it must be something like "yeso grumoso" or a kind of grout (yeso) with a rough finish to it (?).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.