I heard this phrase from a Colombia. What is the meaning (not literal meaning)?

• There is a saying in Spanish: "Para una vez que maté a un gato, me llamaron matagatos". English: "I killed a cat once, now they call me cat killer." It is used, for instance, when someone gets a lifetime nickname for something he did just once. Maybe it has something to do with that saying. – Charlie Apr 22 '19 at 11:38
  • @Charlie Qué curioso. Yo siempre lo he oído como "Mataperros. Mato a un perro y me llaman mataperros" – Diego Apr 22 '19 at 17:28

This saying is about one´s facial and physical expression. "You looked like you killed a cat" tells that someone is terrified, trouble-some, perhaps. Since there´s an old believe that if you kill a cat, you'll get bad luck. I'm Colombian, and that's the use I have personally experienced for this expression.

| improve this answer | |
  • I agree. It is basically another way of saying "you look guilty". I never heard that it brings bad luck. Maybe that they are difficult to kill (their fabled 7 or 9 lives, depending on where you live). – Diego Apr 22 '19 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.