I came across the following phrase on Wikipedia:

A pesar de del apoyo del gobierno y los temas nacionalistas, los artistas nativos estaban un poco más a favor de los europeos.

I originally assumed that the "de del" was a typo, but I've found a fair number of other examples by Googling, so now I'm not sure.

Good catch! // I tried googling it too, but I'm not finding what you found. If there's a name, for example a restaurant called "Del Toro," then yes, you could have a sentence containing "de Del Toro." (E.g. Lo traje de Del Toro.) Apr 12, 2019 at 2:43
    Yes, that's a typo, it should have been "a pesar del apoyo". Note that @aparente001 makes a fairly good point about the reason why you can find the group "de del" in a sentence.
    – Charlie
    Apr 12, 2019 at 5:51

2 Answers 2

Good catch!

I tried googling it too, but I'm not finding what you found. If there's a name, for example a restaurant called "Del Toro," then yes, you could have a sentence containing "de Del Toro." (E.g. Lo traje de Del Toro.)

Sí, debería decir "a pesar del apoyo". "Del" significa "de el", entonces "a pesar de del" sería una repetición innecesaria.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.