So what I want to say is:

I want to travel to London

Is this correct?

Quiero he viajado a Londres

• And you’re conjugating both verbs... – Traveller Apr 7 '19 at 18:54
    Google translate suggests: "Quiero viajar a londres" I am not a native Spanish speaker. – Frank Hubeny Apr 8 '19 at 0:46

No, it isn't.

After any verb that expresses desire, such as querer, desear, esperar, preferir, amar, gustar and so on, you will always find an infinitive (at least when there is no third person involved).

In present tense:

Yo quiero viajar a Londres.
Espero tener un viaje tranquilo.
Prefiero ir en primera clase.

In other tenses (the tricky part):

Me gustaría viajar a Londres. (Expresses a future desire, much like "I'd like to".)
Preferiría haber viajado sin turbulencias. (Expresses a desire to change something in the past, so the infinitive is now a compound one.)

When a third person is involved then you need to switch to relative clauses with verbs in subjunctive mood:

Yo quiero que Juan viaje a Londres. (I'm expressing a desire for other person.)
Espero que el viaje sea tranquilo. (My desire is for the trip, not for myself.)

• Perhaps worth stressing that in the relative clause the verb is in the subjunctive? – mdewey Apr 8 '19 at 13:01
  • @mdewey worth indeed, thanks! – Charlie Apr 9 '19 at 10:53

I would like to contribute a simpler answer to match the level of the question.

In Spanish, like in English, you conjugate the first verb and leave the second one in the infinitive:

Quiero viajar a Londres.

Viajar is the infinitive form. In English the infinitive is "to travel." (I want to travel."

Note that "he viajado" is a past tense form meaning "I have traveled."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.