To say I became [adj], I can say:

Me puse pensativo/enfermo/nervioso

However, I've also heard me puso [adj] in the same context.

Me puso pensativo/enfermo/nervioso

What's the difference between the two meaning-wise? Is this a passive voice, this is it? "Something made me...."?

update:

I'm not taking about "él, ella" for "puso". But "it".

Me puse nervioso: I got nervous. Me puso nervioso: She/He made me nervous [She/He got me all in a tizzy.] In the second example somebody else gets blamed for my nervousness -- for example, maybe the somebody is talking very fast, and saying things that undermine my self-confidence. – aparente001 Apr 5 '19 at 2:24
  • @aparente001 Me puso nervioso --> it made me nervous – jijino Apr 5 '19 at 6:54
  • yes, good point, both are possible, depending on the context. A situation can make somebody nervous, indeed. – aparente001 Apr 11 '19 at 1:52

I think you got it:

Me puse enfermo.

You are not telling what made you to become ill, maybe it is not important or it's unknown. Besides, this sentence usually has a literal meaning

(Algo) me puso enfermo.

Here the emphasis is in the subject, there is a known cause. Maybe the food poisoned me, or someone passed me their illness, so I am blaming it on something or someone. This sentence also can be used in a metaphorical way, similar to "I'm sick of / I've had enough of ..."

| improve this answer | |

The difference is the subject of the sentence. Check that different endings correspond to different subjects. If you conjugate the verb poner in past simple, you have

yo puse
tú pusiste
él/ella/esto/eso puso

So me puse is actually yo me puse, which would literally translate as "I put myself", and it actually means "I became".

On the other hand, me puso is (3rd person) actually él me puso or ella me puso or 'esto/eso/aquello' (anything 3rd person), which is "(s)he put me", or "(s)he made me become" using any third person he/she/it/this/that.

In other words, the difference is puse is first person and puso is third person.

| improve this answer | |
  • you didn't understand my question – jijino Apr 5 '19 at 6:55
  • me puso --> this can be also "it made me...." which is the same as "I got ...". and hence my question – jijino Apr 5 '19 at 6:56
    True, we usually think of 3rd person as he or she, but it can also be "it". "That made me..." instead of "He made me" – FGSUZ Apr 5 '19 at 7:51
    Perhaps some examples will help you realize this is the right answer. = "I got sick"="Me puse enfermo" , "Some virus made me sick"= "algún virus me puso enfermo", "I got/became sick from a virus"= "Me puse enfermo por un virus", "I became nervous"="Me puse nervioso", "That horror movie made me nervous" = "La película de terror me puso nervioso" or "Me puse nervioso por la película de terror". – DGaleano Apr 5 '19 at 16:59
    I've read it. If this is not the answer then we should close it as "unclear what you are asking" 😊😊😊 – DGaleano Apr 5 '19 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.