I'm software developer and I'm having to add these two fields that doesn't have here in my country.

What does "colonia" and "interior" means in an address line in Mexico? And "No exterior" and "no interior"?

There are two images for better context

Yo soy programador y tengo que adicionar estos dos campos que no existen aquí en mi país.

¿Qué significan "colonia" e "interior" en una dirección en Mexico?

enter image description here enter image description here

Colonia is the name of the neighborhood. Interior is the number of the house/apartment. No is short for "Número" (number) – DGaleano Mar 28 '19 at 13:33
    I'm from Spain not from Mexico but No.Exterior and No.Interior mean "Número Exterior" and "Número Interior". Let's say that you live in New York, in 22 Main Street in a building, and your flat is in the 7th floor, door A; then your "Número exterior" is 22 and your "Número interior" is 7ºA. – RubioRic Mar 28 '19 at 13:37
  • According to the Diccionario de americanismos, a colonia is a neighborhood, so in that field you're just supposed to type in the name of the neighborhood you live in.

• No. is the abbreviation for número, so no. exterior means exterior number, this is the number of the building. And no. interior is the interior number, the number of the apartment inside the building.

• Depto. is the abbreviation of departamento, used here with the meaning of flat or apartment. Once more you're supposed to type in here the number of your apartment inside the building (the interior number).

Here you have an example of a Mexican address taken from the Wikipedia:

C. Francisco I. Madero No. 115 Int. 1
Col. Nuevo Casas Grandes Centro
31700 Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih.

So you have "calle Francisco I. Madero", with an exterior number of 115 and interior number of 1, in the neighborhood (colonia) of "Nuevo Casas Grandes Centro", postal code 31700, in the city of "Nuevo Casas Grandes", state of Chihuahua.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.