A friend is asking me to check the price for a maquina de coser para costura over in the U.S., to see if it's worth bringing with me to Mexico when I visit soon. I don't know what that is. She doesn't know how better to translate it to English.

Her description is:

es una maquinita chiquita y tiene para que le insertes 4 hilos y hace la costura mira una camiseta tuya por dentro y las costuras de los lados si estan a la pura orilla pero como redondito o como por los 2 lados como que captura las 2 orillas y hace que no se deshile la ropa

How would one translate the name of this machine into English?

1 Answer 1


It's an overlock sewing machine. The image from Wikipedia:

enter image description here

Also, part of the description, that resembles what your friend told you:

An overlock stitch sews over the edge of one or two pieces of cloth for edging, hemming or seaming. Usually an overlock sewing machine will cut the edges of the cloth as they are fed through (such machines are called ‘sergers’ in North America), though some are made without cutters. The inclusion of automated cutters allows overlock machines to create finished seams easily and quickly. An overlock sewing machine differs from a lockstitch sewing machine in that it uses loopers fed by multiple thread cones rather than a bobbin. Loopers serve to create thread loops that pass from the needle thread to the edges of the fabric so that the edges of the fabric are contained within the seam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.