In Mexico baño is used at home, restaurants, hospitals, but in English the words are bathroom and restroom.

"Baño" refers to the place where we have the shower or the bath at home and it stands for "toilet" or "restroom" in English. "Tocador" is a furniture with a mirror (which can be placed on a bedroom). Women use it to make up or retouching their make up, brushing their hair, etc. There is a room called "tocador" just like the furniture and is function is exactly the same.

This is a "tocador" (furniture):

enter image description here

The D.R.A.E doesn't agree with you. "Tocador" is NOT only a furniture: "Aposento destinado al aseo y peinado de una persona." [Room destined for cleanliness and hair-dressing of a person" dle.rae.es/?id=ZvyFMlt|ZvzUXTr
    – RubioRic
    Feb 25 '19 at 9:41
  • It is not only furniture but the room called "tocador" has the same function as the furniture I described.
    – aaaaane
    Feb 25 '19 at 11:05
    Nice answer! I also see the mention of tocador to the place outisde the toilet where, in public places like restaurants, women would make up. Feb 25 '19 at 11:12
  • Tocador often stands for the room it's in (metonymy), even though the DRAE doesn't include that meaning. This should clarified in the answer, I think.
    – pablodf76
    Feb 25 '19 at 12:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.