When installing programs with language options, I frequently see the localization option "Spanish_ar" in addition to regular Spanish. What locality of Spanish does this refer to? I'd expect something that referred in some way to Castilian or Latin America but "ar" seems mysterious to me.

enter image description here

• It would be nice to know in addition what the differences are – FGSUZ Feb 14 '19 at 22:16
  • So funny that that's the only variant offered! – aparente001 Feb 15 '19 at 7:30
    Closing since it is not about the Spanish language but about computing. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Feb 15 '19 at 10:58
    Voting to reopen because I think it's a fair question. If OP had asked some actual content question in this context, then we wouldn't have been able to answer it, without delving into the content area. But in this case, we didn't need to have an Information Technology specialty to be able to give a useful answer. – aparente001 Feb 16 '19 at 21:05
    I agree with @aparente001 in this case. The question is more or less equivalent to Is there a Spanish variation known as Spanish_ar, which is about linguistics and not computing. The question just gives some context as to where did OP find that variation. – Gorpik Feb 18 '19 at 8:28

Here it's stated that it refers to “Español argentina”, at least for notepad++.

• Thank you. That's interesting and unexpected as I've never seen a listed variation of Spanish specific to Argentina. – el_menjurje Feb 18 '19 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.