There is a song «Baila, baila comigo» by the Dominó band from Brazil. I paid attention that in some places it's written conmigo while in another — comigo. Could you, please, explain me what's the difference? Is it Spanish vs. Portuguese version of the same word?

A bonus question: Baïla vs. Baila.

I have no idea why the ï would be used. At best it would be used if the song pronounced it BA-i-la (dieresis is used in poetry to mark un stressed hiatuses), but that's definitely very non-standard and unexpected for both Spanish and Portuguese. – user0721090601 Feb 4 '19 at 22:16

Given the context (a song in Portuguese sung by a Brazilian group), I would assume that when written conmigo it's indeed a Spanish version of the song; and when written comigo is a Portuguese (original) version of the song (keeping in mind, of course, that baila is written in the same way in Spanish and in Portuguese).

Although, here's a fun fact regarding the use of comigo and conmigo: comigo is a word that does exist in Spanish, although it's quite old and is no longer used.

The Diccionario de la Lengua Española has an entry for comigo:

1. pron. person. 1.ª pers. m. y f. sing. desus. conmigo.

As you may notice, the Dictionary states that it's a word that's no longer used. Even in a dictionary from 1729 (Autoridades), the entry states that the word is antiquated:

Comigo: adv. Lo mismo que Conmigo. Es voz antiquada [...].

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks a lot. I elaborated the question, added Baila vs. Baïla. – Mike B. Feb 4 '19 at 22:11
    @MikeB. I think you should better ask that question (regarding baila) in the Portuguese Language Stack Exchange. I bet there's someone with an answer there – prm296 Feb 4 '19 at 22:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.