Right now at my place we're getting 45 knot winds, coming from the Southwest.
I know that this wind is called Lebeche in Spain, but why is it called like that?

And, since it would be silly to make a different question for each different wind...
What are the names of the different winds in Spain? And what is the origin of each name?

Just to be clear, I'm asking about names of winds found in Spain in particular, not about the Spanish name of every single wind in the world ;)

NOTA: Por descontado, se aceptan respuestas en español (nombres de los vientos y etimología).

+250

Here you have the most common (and also some uncommon) winds in Spain, according to the direction they blow from, taken from the Spanish Wikipedia, the Eolonimia page and other sources (entries restricted to those appearing in the DLE):

North

• Tramontana. From transmontano, Latin transmontānus, "coming from the other side of the mountains".
  • Terral. From tierra, literallly "coming from the earth".
  • Bóreas. From Latin bŏrĕas "the north wind", from Greek βορέας boréas.
  • Etesio. From Latin ĕtēsius, from Greek ἐτήσιος etḗsios "yearly".
  • Septentrión. From Latin septentrio, -ōnis, "the north wind", from septem "seven" and trio, -ōnis, from Trĭōnes, the constellation of the Wain, i. e. Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (which were compared to a wagon with oxen yoked to it).
  • Matacabras. Literally "goat killer". Also descuernacabras, literally "able to remove the horns of the goats".

North-East

• Gregal. From Latin Graecālis "from Greece". Also known as gregario or greco.
  • Cecias. From Latin caecĭas "the north-east wind", from Greek καικίας kaikías.

East

South-East

• Siroco or jaloque. Maybe from Catalan [e]xaloc, from Hispanic Arabic šaláwq "sea wind", from Latin sălum "the open sea" or even "a sea of thought, agitation, trouble, etc.".
  • Bochorno. From Latin Vulturnus ventus, "a southeastby-one-third-south wind", from Vultur, a mountain in Apulia.

South

South-West

• Lebeche. From Hispanic Arabic labáč, from Latin Lĭbycus "of Libya", as it blows from that direction.
  • Garbino. From Hispanic Arabic ḡarbí, from Classic Arabic ḡarbī "western".
  • Ábrego. From Latin Afrĭcus ventus "African wind".

West

• Poniente. From the cardinal point of the same name, from Latin ponens, -entis. Also poeticallly known as favonio, from Latin Făvōnĭus; or céfiro, from Latin Zĕphyrus.
  • Vendaval. From French vent d'aval "wind from down under".
  • Euro. From Latin eurus, "the east wind", from Greek εὖρος eûros.

North-West

Some other winds, not typically from Spain but known enough here:

• Alisios. Of unknown origin.
  • Simún. From French simoun, from dialectal Arabic smūm, from Classic Arabic samūm "pestilent wind".
| improve this answer | |
  • Quite interesting, but the explanation doesn't explain it completely, Did Lybia encompass Morocco at some time? Or has the expression previously been used in the Eastern Mediterrenean? (In Corsica and other parts of Italy, they have the same wind - spelt Libeccio.) – Frank from Frankfurt Feb 1 '19 at 14:07
  • Nordés, from Galicia in the North-West – Chirlo Feb 1 '19 at 14:51
  • @Chirlo "nordés" es una palabra gallega, por eso no está incluida en la lista, pero gracias por tu aportación. – Charlie Feb 1 '19 at 14:53
  • @charlie, the question reads "What are the names of the different winds in Spain?" . Galicia is in Spain, so it applies – Chirlo Feb 1 '19 at 14:56
  • @Chirlo yes, Galicia is in Spain, but this is a site about the Spanish language, not the Galician language. For the same reason I have included "jaloque" and not "xaloc", the name in Catalan. – Charlie Feb 1 '19 at 15:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy