In the Spanish translation of Twain's "Tom Sawyer," the following original passage:

Go home to your Nance and your kids

...is translated as:

Vete a tu casa con tu parienta, y tus chicos

...which, to me, seems to be saying, "Go home with your relative, and your children."

Did the translator not know that "Nance" was a personal name (short for "Nancy") or what?

And what would the best translation for this, anyway - something like "Vete a tu casa a tu Nance" o ""Vete a tu casa a tu esposa"?

Parienta is used in Spain to colloquially refer to the wife, I haven't heard it nor read it in this same sense in Latin America. – Andrés Chandía Dec 4 at 19:12
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'm sure the translator knew that Nance was a shortened form for Nancy; otherwise he couldn't have translated it as parienta, a rather colloquial form for wife. The word pariente meaning relative is almost always used with the -e ending, it has no feminine form except to refer to la parienta:

1. m. y f. coloq. Esposo con relación al otro miembro del matrimonio.

In this sense it is almost always used in feminine. I have never seen "mi pariente" used to refer to someone's husband, at least in Spain.

So, why using parienta? Because literary works are not translated, but adapted. If I had to choose between "vete a casa con Nancy", "vete a casa con tu Nancy" or "vete a casa con tu mujer", all the choices are correct but there are slight difference in meaning:

• "Vete a casa con Nancy" sounds conforting, and it implies that both people know Nancy closely.
  • "Vete a casa con tu Nancy" sounds a bit despective towards Nancy.
  • "Vete a casa con tu mujer" sounds between neutral and conforting, but it implies that the speaker does not know Nancy in a close way (maybe he does not even know her name), which might be the case in the novel. Could Nance be used in the novel as a generic way to refer to someone's wife when you do not know her name?

And using parienta is just because it is a very colloquial way to say wife, and it fits very well with the low-level language used in the village where the Tom Sayer novel takes place.

I personally suspect it's a slang term for one's wife, or if not that the name of the fellow's wife. But, I've also heard it attested as slang (really, an offensive slur) for a gay man, and I've found sources that suggest it's from the 19th century, so I wonder whether that interpretation is possible. – Obie 2.0 Dec 4 at 9:26
    @Obie2.0 I know, I discovered that while researching the term for a question I asked in the English language site. – Charlie Dec 4 at 9:28
    In the Mikado by Gilbert and Sullivan the line occurs, "with his Nancy on his knee" which I have always assumed just meant his female nearest and dearest but I am not sure. The line is sometimes these days the cause of homophobic sniggers from the audience. – mdewey Dec 4 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.