I've been doing a search lately but haven't found anything about that. How is it said?

Not merely "La musica está demasiado alta o ruidosa", but a request: "can you crank/turn the music down a bit?"

• Why are you saying crank instead of turn down? Usually, we crank up music or heat or air conditioning or some kind of motor. Crank down is not common at all. Where did you hear that? So, you are asking a question about something that is not said in English. – Lambie Dec 2 '18 at 16:11
  • @Lambie what's difference: crank down/turn down? – nylypej Dec 2 '18 at 18:43
  • We don't say crank down, usually. We say crank up: the heat, the air conditioning, the music and motors. Crank up is idiomatic. Crank down for this context does not exist. That's why I asked you where you saw it or heard it. The only thing one might crank down is some sort of machine (levers,machines, ladders, etc) that have a crank. It is not used metaphorically. – Lambie Dec 2 '18 at 18:54
  • @lambie - I've heard "crank it down." In fact, here's an NIH article with that title! nidcd.nih.gov/newsletter/2006/summer/crank-it-down – aparente001 Feb 18 '19 at 3:30
  • @nylypej - Also: bajar el volumen. – aparente001 Feb 18 '19 at 3:31

The request can you crank the music down (a bit)? would be

¿Puedes bajar la música (un poco)?

in "Tú" form. In "Usted" form it is:

¿Puede bajar la música (un poco)?

• and how to ask to make it louder? – nylypej Dec 2 '18 at 14:39
  • The problem is no one really says crank down the music. You crank up air-conditioning, heating, motors, and music. Not crank down. – Lambie Dec 2 '18 at 16:12
  • ¿Como se puede traduzir algo que en el outro idioma no se diría? – Lambie Dec 2 '18 at 17:27
  • @nylypej make it louder uses the opposite of "bajar", which is "subir". Same sentence but changing "bajar" for "subir". – FGSUZ Dec 2 '18 at 17:44
  • @Lambie that doesn't make sense – nylypej Dec 2 '18 at 18:42

A rude neighbor, or your parents if you're a teen, merely yell at you:

¡¡ESA MÚSICA!!

• es MAGNIFICAAAAA!!! – nylypej Dec 2 '18 at 14:38
  • That's it! We hear this quite often. Welcome to the site, Afilla – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Dec 2 '18 at 20:26
  • What I yell to my teen: "¡AUDÍFONOS!" – aparente001 Feb 19 '19 at 4:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.