My kid, like most kids, has an inclination for construction vehicles. Sometimes, he'll pick a book full of construction-vehicle vocabulary for me to read and, when that book is in English, I often find myself translating on the fly to broaden his vocabulary and keep him used to Spanish.

That challenged me to learn some of the names of the construction vehicles I wasn't familiar with or never cared to know in Spanish (a backhoe loader is a retroexcavadora, a dump truck is a volquete, etc).

I don't know what Spanish for a Skid-steer loader is. A skid-steer loader (skid-steer loader, or skidsteer) is

a small, rigid-frame, engine-powered machine with lift arms used to attach a wide variety of labor-saving tools or attachments.

So it is like a loader (pala cargadora), but much smaller and with a different loader mechanism (a skid loader mechanism instead of a "tractor-like" loader mechanism).

Can anybody tell me what we call a skid-steer loader in Spanish?

enter image description here enter image description here

It seems they are called cargadoras compactas:

enter image description here

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

En Colombia se les conoce sencillamente por el nombre de una de las marcas "bobcat".

• Y posiblemente esa empresa tenga la patente o algo, y sea la única que las fabrica (no toda la maquinaria es un "bobcat", pero todos los skid steers son bobcat) – Diego Nov 20 '18 at 14:14
  • @Diego posiblemente fue primera marca que tuvo presencia en Colombia o la que la mayor participación tiene del mercado (ya que por la foto es claro que Caterpillar también fabrica esos aparatos). – alvalongo Nov 20 '18 at 14:37
  • No se si somos solo los Colombianos pero aquí ya ha pasado antes con otras marcas. Aquí tradicionalmente hemos llamado a los "bulldozer" catapila como una deformación/adaptación de la marca Caterpillar. Con los bobcat pasó lo mismo +1 – DGaleano Nov 22 '18 at 13:18

In Uruguay we name that kind of machines

Pala mecánica

A "Pala" (without "mecánica") is just a normal shovel and "mecánica" means mechanical.

That being said, I'm not a professional in the branch, that meaning if I see this machine on the streets I will name it "Pala mecánica" but maybe the worker working on it may name it with a more precise or descriptive name.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.