A few times when I was talking to some people in Mexico they used "manejar" instead of "tengo".

Did I understand them correctly and is this the case that "manejar" is used Mexico to mean "to have" sometimes?

I'm not mexican so i'm not 100% sure of it's usage, i do know that for money you can indeed say "maneja mucho dinero" to mean "he has a lot of money", manejar can also be used for driving a car afaik. – Brian H. Oct 26 at 12:53
  • Well' if you're handling something, you've got it in your hands, so you've got it after all. – FGSUZ Oct 26 at 12:54
    I agree with Brian. Please nylypej, include a couple examples of uses of "manejar" you have heard to help narrowing the use in question. – Diego Oct 26 at 13:09
  • "manejar dinero" no es "tener o poseer dinero", más bien se refiere a "usar dinero". – roetnig Oct 28 at 18:41

According to the diccionario de americanismos:

manejar

III. 1. tr. Ho, RD. Tener algo, poseer. pop.

Mexico is not listed in the dictionary among those countries which use the expression, but that actually doesn't mean much. Probably the use of "manejar" as "tener" has become more popular in Mexico and the dictionary is still behind registering it.

You mean like something commented on this page, where you can find the phrase

"Le vengo manejando..."

That is used by sellers to emphasize what they are selling and differentiating it from what everyone else is able to offer you.

So the phrase le vengo manejando is used instead of today I have for you or something of the likes.

It is used alongside to have, you could interpret as "manage/managing"

Yo manejo cierta linea de productos

Can be stand as

I manage certain product line

or

I work with certain product line

Be aware of the context, because "manejar" also means to drive a machine/car/situation

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.