How come does no hace falta mean "there's no need/necessity" and the like?

What's the logic behind the meaning? no hace falta (si no haces nada)/(si no pasa nada)? == nothing wrong happens (if you refrain from doing that).

I've replied to the main question, but I'm not sure I understand the second part. There's nothing in no hacer falta about wrong things happening or about refraining from doing things. If you could clarify that, I can edit my answer to include that. – pablodf76 Oct 12 '18 at 21:15

No hace falta is just a form of the phrase hacer falta "to be necessary". The logic behind it is that falta means "lack". When something is needed, you can say that something makes or causes a lack, or something is an instance of lack. If you say

no hace falta

then that literally means (something) does not make or cause a lack; it's not lacking, and therefore not needed.

There's no tone of judgement in this phrase; no hace falta can be used to tell someone off, or to spare them unneeded work.

| improve this answer | |
  • I thought falta meant something related to false – nylypej Oct 12 '18 at 23:05
  • @nylypej Actually it does, etymologically, but it's not obvious. You'd need to go back to Latin and before... It also has a relationship with fallar "to fail". – pablodf76 Oct 12 '18 at 23:13
  • Etymologic doesn't have to be logic. Think wanted. Something wanted may be desired or missing. – enxaneta Oct 13 '18 at 15:26
    @enxaneta what you've shown here is called "logic" – nylypej Oct 13 '18 at 20:28

Just to add to Pablo's excellent answer, the noun falta 'lack' (which by the way also means 'shortage; mistake; fault, defect') is derived from the verb faltar 'to be missing/absent', 'to be lacking, to be needed', 'to lack, not have enough', and 'to insult, be rude, foul' (in sports)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.