I know grandfather is Abuelo, but are there more affectionate terms? I mean like there's Grandpa, Gramps, Grandpappy, Granddad, etc. in English, which are more informal than grandfather.

Something a kid might refer to a favourite Grandpa from Mexico as, I guess.

In Spain, it's usual to use "Yayo", it's the term that kids use to call Grandparents when they don't know how to speak correctly. – DMC19 Oct 3 at 8:29
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In Mexico, there are two common choices for this:

Abuelito

Abue

They're both extremely common.

Abue also can be used indirectly, for instance: "Fue lo que le dije a mi Abue" or "Mi Abue es el mejor del mundo" – Phi Oct 8 at 16:20
  • @Phi - You're right! – aparente001 Oct 10 at 0:34

I know grandfather is Abuelo, but are there more affectionate terms?

In general, using the diminutive form of words in Latin American Spanish context is considered a form of affectionate variation. The specific reason, as per my understanding, is that "smaller" things (like little dogs, etc.) tend to inspire protective instincts, as well as a sense of "cuteness".

The same applies to Abuelo; by saying "Abuelito" you are conveying a more affectionate tone to it.

Another variation I've heard is using the word "Papito" along with your grandpa's name (like, for example, Papito Juan). This conveys the meaning that, being your father's father, you also consider your grandpa your "papi" (from padre, which is masculine form of parent).

This one I've noticed is common along those cases where your father and grandfather have the same name, as to avoid confusion when calling or talking to them. That way, you can affectionate refer to both as, i.e.: "Papito Juan" and "Papi Juan", for your grandfather and father, respectively.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.