From time to time I see pedantically wrong language in online forums and short messages, for example missing diacritics above letters, sometimes including the tilde above ñ. Also there are some places where a single Q appears, and I think it's a short form of que:

quiero saber l q ha pasado (I want to know what happened)

What difference may I anticipate between grammatically correct language and daily/casual typing?

This could be an interesting question, but I suspect people is not paying attention to it because it is too broad to answer. Besides, there can be regional differences in the way people uses these abbreviations. I suggest to narrow the scope of the question and ask for specific texts you may have problems to understand. Nonetheless, I see that you got the meaning of your example sentence quite right.
    – Charlie
    Oct 1, 2018 at 8:04
  • I bet you could give yourself a crash course in internet abbreviations and sloppy writing by reading (a) La Tertulia (our chat area here at Spanish Language Beta) and Yahoo Respuestas. Oct 4, 2018 at 1:14
  • I wonder about that phrase "pedantically wrong." Do you really mean that? Oct 4, 2018 at 1:14
  • @aparente001 be pedantic = be strict about grammar
    – iBug
    Oct 4, 2018 at 2:55
  • Somehow related: How important are accents in written Spanish?
    – fedorqui
    Oct 4, 2018 at 13:38

1 Answer 1

I will try to be concise but there are many changes ...

The most common changes:

• The comma between the subject and the predicate:

This error tends to mark, in some cases, a spoken pause, but it is necessary to remember that the punctuation marks do not correspond to the pauses that take place in the oral discourse.

Example: "Todos los actores, tomaran una copa tras la función"

• Queism (queismo): As well as dequeísmo is to add the preposition of when it has not to be(Me contó de que se iba a Córdoba), queism is the opposite, to omit (Me alegro que te hayan dado el trabajo.

• Do not put accents on pronouns: We're not going to be theoretical, it's just a very common mistake

• Abusive use of commas

• the confusion between «a ver» and «haber»: This one in particular gives me a lot of revulsion, because I see it written very frequently and not only in those ways, but also in incorrect ways that are obvious and nobody cares.

• **Forget the H and change the K for the C and the QU **

• The correct use of «Ay!», «hay» and «ahí»: Very common especially in the smallest that only use the «hay».

• Terms and abbreviations: Here I will point out, it is very common in internet texts or chats to abbreviate or simply to use fewer characters in a way that is understood, even though each word is misspelled.

These cases are many and I give you some examples:

• Aki: aquí
  • Xq: porque
  • Nd: nada
  • Bn: bien
  • Gns: ganas
  • Jum: expresión que significa enfado
  • Qtpsa: ¿qué te pasa?
  • Tw: tweet
  • Fb: Facebook
  • Wp o wasa: Whatsapp
  • Wenas: buenas, hola
  • Ola ke ase: hola, ¿qué haces?
  • Xa, pa: para
  • +: más
  • -: menos
  • = : igual

This is only a few of them, there are more than i can remember.

• Forget the ¿ at the begining of the question: Quite common - A que hora quedamos?

There are pretty more, but less common in my opinion.

• +1 Good start on this
    – iBug
    Oct 31, 2018 at 8:26
    Grx= Gracias. Obviously always try to use the right grammar and spelling. :-)
    – DGaleano
    Oct 31, 2018 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.