I have a grammar question about a sentence below.

La chica a la que vi ayer se llama Ana.

In my point of view, we should use "la que" in this sentence and I think that it is grammatically correct. If it is not, please let me know why?

And also if I say:

La chica que vi ayer se llama Ana.

Is it correct as well?

Both are perfectly fine. The trick is that the ver verb has a lot of meanings, and depending on the sentence its meaning can be different. If you just say:

La chica que vi ayer se llama Ana.

Here I would say that you just saw the girl as you were walking down the street of whatever. Another interpretation could be that you are a doctor and the girl came to you so that you could check her. But if you say:

La chica a la que vi ayer se llama Ana.

Now the ver verb could be interpreted as meet: you saw the girl because you had an appointment to go see her. But this is indeed quite prone to interpretations and the final meaning of the sentences will depend on the context.

• Wouldn't it be better with couple of colons? "La chica, a la que vi ayer, se llama Ana" similar to "La chica, la cual vi ayer, se llama Ana". I don't think using "la que" is incorrect but it sounds weird to me and I prefer "La chica que vi ayer..." even if we had an appointment. Anyway +1 – DGaleano Sep 13 at 15:39

"La chica a la que..." It sounds incorrect.

To become correct would be

La chica que vi ayer.

Or

La chica a la cual vi ayer.

In the case of a boy would be:

El chico que vi ayer.

Or

El chico al que vi ayer.

Or

El chico al cual vi ayer.

• in case of "La chica, a la cual vi ayer." do we have to put coma(,) between "La chica, a" ?? – Ian Lee Sep 14 at 0:36
  • @IanLee actually that comma was a typo. Is not needed there. I removed already. – Ger Cas Sep 14 at 4:39
  • Why would "El chico al que vi ayer" be fine while "La chica a la que vi ayer" is not? – Em1 Sep 18 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.