English learners of Spanish sometimes say1 "tranquílate" in place of the more usual "tranquilízate", presumably due to the influence of the adjective tranquila/o and/or the English cognate tranquil (as opposed to the false friend tranquilize).

I was under the impression that tranquilar(se) was a long outdated word among native speakers in this context2, but it pops up a few times in Google Ngrams in the past few decades. E.g.:

Tranquílese, siéntese ¿Un café? Justo Vasco, 1992

Siéntese usted y tranquílese, Guadalupe. Arturo Pérez-Reverte, 1993

Tranquílese directora, yo soy muy creyente y todo esto... Antonio Zurita, 2012

Assuming these aren't printing errors or idiolectal quirks:

Is tranquilar(se) still used with the meaning of tranquilizar(se) in any Spanish dialects?

1. e.g. «Bayani puts a hand on his shoulder. “Tranquílate, hermano. The men are all ready to march."» John Sayles, 2011

2. e.g. here it is used to imitate an archaic style of speech:
    «Tranquílate, mi amigo, tened buena creencia, cerca están grandes gozos de la vuestra querencia.» Héctor Azar, 1955

• Not in Colombia. It is the first time I hear "tranquílese" and sounds absolutely awful to me. – DGaleano Sep 13 at 15:57
  • Reading the first paragraphs of the "porque yo?" book and given the kind of language used, I would not trust the quality of the Spanish used in that book. It would be like considering correct the language used on La vendedora de rosas – DGaleano Sep 13 at 16:05

Tranquilar does exist in the Spanish dictionary.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, from Spain, and never heard of that word. I guess it must be a very old word that no one uses nowadays.

Here, in Spain, we do use the word tranquilizar(se), as well as calmar(se).

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.