What is the equivalent for the number in Spanish: 1'740.720? I saw this number in an article, but don't understand the ' symbol after the one (1'). It looks like an apostrophe was placed after the number. I understand the punto after the the thousands 1.000.

That apostrophe is simply marking millions. 1'000.000 is one million (1.000.000).

That isn't a standard notation in Spanish (in fact, it isn't recommended), and other languages also use apostrophes as separators:

3. Los millones
No hay un signo especial para los millones, que se marcan igualmente con un espacio. Se desaconsejan, por tanto, grafías como 1’000,000 (con apóstrofo) y 1,000.000 (coma y punto), que se ven ocasionalmente en los medios.

• Thank you. Your answer is helpful. One of my Spanish 4 AP students was attempting to comprehend a chart in which the apostrophe type symbol was used. The class thought it might have something to do with millions, but as I had never used this symbol, I was not sure. I let the students know that I would inquire, and give them an explanation upon their return to class. – Ruth Gonzalez Sep 8 '18 at 12:51
    @RuthGonzalez I'm glad I could help! Please don't forget that you can mark an answer as correct with the green check button. – Racso Sep 8 '18 at 14:05
  • that notation was still used in late 80's and early 90's , THANK GOD!, most editors are finally adopting the standard notation – Mike Sep 11 '18 at 15:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.