How is "Stack Exchange" pronounced in practice in a non-bilingual environment?

Reason I'm asking: in Mexico, at least, proper names starting with ST are uncomfortable for those not fluent in English (NFE), noting that the vast majority of the population is NFE. If you're talking about, say, Oliver Stone, Stone will become "Estón." And a fair number of people in Mexico, when talking about someone named Axel, will say "Atsel." And "Stack Exchange" presents additional hurdles for a Spanish speaker to produce, even if he has a mental image of how someone fluent in English pronounces it.

• Our Russian teacher was always complaining about us saying espasiba instead of spasiba... – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jun 5 '18 at 13:05
    Let me make an analogy...Is it important to talk about the "spin" of the electron if you don't know what an electron is?. Is it important to know how "stack exchange" is pronounced in an environment where no one speaks English? Among that non-bilingual group it is obvious it will be pronounced as if it was Spanish and they will all happily agree. – DGaleano Jun 5 '18 at 16:57
    @FGSUZ why someone that only speaks Spanish would say "eschéin" to something written exchange? Form where will that person imply that "ange" sounds "ein" instead of "an-je" if his only knowledge is the Spanish pronunciation ? I'm sure finding a person that ONLY knows Spanish and had never heard some English is the difficult part here and so your answer makes a lot of sense. – DGaleano Jun 6 '18 at 13:49
    @DGaleano - Monlingual Spanish speakers are exposed to people who speak some to a lot of English (unless they live in an isolated environment in which case they would have no awareness of the existence of StackExchange). This influences their interpretation of written English. – aparente001 Jun 6 '18 at 14:46
    @walen - I've reviewed what's on topic, what's off topic, and the other question asking guidance. I can't find "not useful" as a reason to close. There are plenty of questions on this site which I personally am not interested in, and which have no practical usefulness -- but I don't vote to close them only for that reason. I figure, the person who asked finds it interesting, and maybe some others do too. – aparente001 Jul 26 '19 at 17:11

From @DGaleano:

"estac eschéin"

The ending could also be "einj" or "ench."

| improve this answer | |

Following the rule of "read as it is written" the pronunciation of a NSE is:

Stack ecschanje

"Stack" would sound quite similar due to the phonetic connection between "ck", and "S" having no "E" visually (or typed) attached. If someone pronounced it as "Estack," it would be because he/she has a notion of English pronunciation.

| improve this answer | |
  • Do you mean because he/she does not have a notion of English pronunciation? – aparente001 Jul 26 '19 at 17:01
  • @aparente001There is a misconception of how to pronounce some words that start with "S" (es) words in English, for Spanish speakers. So I do mean "he/she has a notion of" leading to pronounce with an "E" before "S" : estack. – MarlonFolken Jul 26 '19 at 19:42
  • Thanks for responding, but I just don't understand what you're saying there. It sounds like your sentence means, only those who have some familiarity with English would have difficulty starting the word with the "ST" sound; and those with NO familiarity with English would not "cheat" and add a vowel sound (e) before the S. – aparente001 Jul 26 '19 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.