In mathematics, we have what are called hyperbolic trigonometric functions. For example, hyperbolic sine, hyperbolic tangent, hyperbolic cosine, etc... We generally write these functions with abbreviations like sinh, tanh, cosh, etc... In English, we go one step further and abbreviate their pronunciation as well. When we see 'sinh', we say "sinch". When we see 'tanh', we also say 'tanch'. When we see 'cosh', we also say 'cosh'.

I'm curious if something similar is practiced in Spanish as well. Are these particular functions commonly pronounced in a contracted manner?


I'd say it is uncommon (at least in Spain) to abbreviate the pronunciation.

I've always heard the full pronunciation even though it's written in the contracted manner.

  • 2
    +1. I've never heard a contracted form of the hyperbolic functions (and I've taken courses making an extensive use of them) Jul 19 '12 at 10:04
  • 4
    I agree with @IgnacioContreras. I've never heard a contracted form, either. I've always heard "coseno hiperbólico", "tangente hiperbólica", etc.
    – MikMik
    Jul 19 '12 at 11:52
  • 3
    I agree. The only "exception" I can think of right now could be sinc(x) function for "cardinal sine". In Spanish I have always called it "función sinc" instead of "función seno cardinal", indeed I have never heard anyone calling it by its original name.
    – Javi
    Jul 20 '12 at 8:51
  • 1
    @Javi: I've just learnt something. I had always read or heard "sinc", never "seno cardinal". And I've used it quite a lot!
    – MikMik
    Jul 23 '12 at 8:27
  • Same here (Argentina)
    – leonbloy
    Jul 28 '12 at 17:29

As far as I know, it is not true.

In Spanish, we may write sin(x) or sen(x), but in both cases we say "Seno de x":

  • sin(x), sen(x): Seno de x
  • cos(x): Coseno de x
  • ...

We may also write sinh(x) or senh(x), but we say "Seno hiperbólico de x"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.