Do I have to use the subjunctive in this case?

I run as much as I can

Which one is correct?

Corro todo lo que puedo.

OR

Corro todo lo que pueda.

• Why should you use the subjunctive? – user19397 May 16 '18 at 8:15
  • because I am not sure about how much I might be able to run but I'll do my best. So there's uncertainty about it and that's why I thought it might be the case – Ryepower May 16 '18 at 9:03

Based on your comment I understand what your doubt is. The trick is that if you say

Corro todo lo que puedo.

you are either stating that you are running right now ("I'm running as fast as I can"), or talking about something you usually do (and know about, as in "I usually run as fast as I can"). So as you know about your own limits, the sentence uses the indicative mood.

You need to talk in subjunctive when there is some uncertainty. If you change the example to

Correré todo lo que pueda.

now you are talking about something yet to happen and don't know about (you still don't know your limits), so you use the subjuntive.

| improve this answer | |
  • Muchas gracias por la respuesta! Después de contemplar la pregunta un poco me hubía occurrido la idea a lo que refieres aquí pero no estaba muy seguro pero ahora estoy! – Ryepower May 16 '18 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.