To remove the ambiguity of sentences such as

su camisa está aquí.

we can say

la camisa de ella está aquí.

Can this be done for the rest of the subject pronouns?

for example, rather than

mi camisa está aquí.

can we say

la camisa de yo está aquí.

Does it sound strange?

I know that no clarification is needed in such cases but I'm still curious to know.

• You can't use yo after a preposition. While not strictly wrong, you rarely hear the structure for first person singular – user0721090601 Apr 27 '18 at 14:10
  • oh yes! that's true, but what if i change de yo to de mí – Simple Apr 27 '18 at 14:17
  • By not strictly wrong, I meant when using de mí. – user0721090601 Apr 27 '18 at 14:26
  • For some reason I was thinking of subject pronouns rather than prepositional pronouns thank you. – Simple Apr 27 '18 at 14:36

No, you can't say that, because it's ungrammatical, and also because it's unnecessary, since the sentence is not ambiguous. Mi camisa means "my shirt", no ambiguity possible.

It is true that you can say de + pronoun to emphasize the possessor of an item (as in la camisa de ella), but in fact this is only ever done in the third person, either in the singular or the plural, and in both genders: de él, de ellos, de ella, de ellas.

Also note that the full third person personal pronouns are particular in a sense: they are the same when they act as the subject of a sentence and when they act as an object. When following a preposition (like de or para), you have to use pronouns in their object form. Since ella is the same as a subject and as an object, you don't notice any change here.

The same happens to the other plural pronoun: nosotros, vosotros and ustedes also remain the same when following prepositions.

But the other pronouns are not like this: for example, yo works as a subject, but as an object you must use ; and changes to ti. So you would never say *de yo. You could say de mí, but as I said before, that's never done in this particular sense (when talking of something you possess).⁽¹⁾

This is not all that different from English. In English you don't say *"this belongs to I", but "this belongs to me", using the object pronoun me instead of the subject pronoun yo. Of course, in English you also have different object forms for the third person (him, her, them).

If you want to emphasize possession, outside the third person, you instead use the full possessive pronoun, in the appropriate number and gender: la camisa mía.

You can also do this in the third person, but not to resolve the ambiguity: instead of la camisa de ella you can equally well say la camisa suya, but suya is totally ambiguous (it might mean "his", "her" or "their").

⁽¹⁾ You can say de mí in other cases (NGLE 18.4), typically when de + pronoun is a complement of certain verbs («¿Te acuerdas de mí?», «No te alejes de mí.», etc.), and also when you want to emphasize even more: de mí mismo, lit. "of me myself".

• You might want to emphasize the in this particular sense, because the possessive de mí (and especially when modified with mismo/a) does work other cases. (see the Gramática 18.4) – user0721090601 Apr 28 '18 at 3:14

I can't tell you if it is strictly wrong, but I ensure you that in Spain where I live NOBODY would say that, and everybody will think it is wrong. The same for "la camisa de mi".

No.

It is possible to speak of

Su camisa de ella

when we want to clarify whose shirt it is, given that "su" is ambiguous without a clear context.

But in this position in the sentence, "ella" is not the subject. It is an object pronoun in this case. What is tricky here for a Spanish learner is that for the feminine third person singular, the object pronoun and the subject pronoun use the same word: "ella."

Here is a list of all the object pronouns:

él, ella, ello

nosotros

vosotros

ellos, ellas, ustedes

As you can see, "yo" is not in this list. Instead, the correct form is "mí." Therefore, it is theoretically possible to talk of

la camisa de mí

However, I haven't off hand been able to come up with a realistic usage of this combination of words, because any attempt to clarify or emphasize that it is my shirt will look something like this:

la camisa mía

But at least you now have the correct form, even if it is only academic, and not something that you would use under normal circumstances.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.