I discovered this article on wood stain, which has no Spanish wikipedia counterpart. While barniz is the translation of varnish, there is no Spanish equivalent for "wood stain"? I read this discussion but only has 2 responses, one suggests "Colorante para madera" but I can't verify this translation is fit, the other suggests barniz but as I pointed in the beginning, it means varnish, which it's a different thing than wood stain.

  • First thing that comes to mind is tinta
    – dockeryZ
    Mar 23 '18 at 3:28
  • Yes, colorante para madera is a good translation, you can say tinte para madera too
    – user14069
    Mar 23 '18 at 5:54

As a weekend woodworker I use "wood stains" and in Colombia we call those "tintas", "tintes" o more commonly "tintillas".

This are very different from varnish since they are absorbed by the wood and tiñen = stain the wood instead of just creating a coating like varnish does.

Tintillas are also different from primers (impregnantes) or sealers (selladores) because they are not made to protect the wood or to prepare it for the finishing coat but only to give it a specific color and bring out the contrast of its grain.

The left one in the image is a common presentation from my local store. It is alcohol based but there are some other that are in a gel presentation like the one in right image.

enter image description hereenter image description here

The process of using tintas o tintillas is called teñido o entintado {Reference}

El teñido o entintado es el procedimiento de teñir a la madera natural, sin manos previas, con tintas especiales para este tipo de material, otorgándole un color distinto al original, pero sin tapar la textura y vetas originales de la madera.

I've never used tintilla a base de agua (water based stains) but I found some examples of those here

Water based stains - tintillas a base de agua

  • Outstanding answer (solution plus documentation). Mar 24 '18 at 3:09

I'm really not convinced that my answer applies to all countries. But following the links of Wikipedia I see that in French it is known as "lasure". And if so, then it corresponds to what in Spanish (Chilean at least) we know as impregnante.

enter image description here

  • 1
    as a weekend woodworker I'd say that impregnates are more what in English is called primers and not wood stains. They work in the same way of being absorbed by the wood but the purpose of primers is to protect the wood and prepare it for the finish coat while the sole purpose of stains is to give it color.
    – DGaleano
    Mar 23 '18 at 15:17
  • Judging by the picture of the water on the surface I would say that is more a wood stain than a primer. You would not deliberately get it wet after priming before applying the next coat.
    – mdewey
    Mar 24 '18 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.