I ran across this sentence in a news article:

O’Rourke y Cruz aseguraron sus nominaciones al ganar las elecciones primarias de sus respectivos partidos.

I see that they used "al ganar". Is this a typo or is there really a grammatical feature that allows the placement of a definite article before a verb? If such a feature exists, I'd like to know how it works, preferably with a pointer to an external source to back up the explanation.

The definite article el can be placed in front of a verb when it is being used as a noun. For example, I can say just as well comer con los amigos es divertido as I can el comer con los amigos es divertido, although it's generally more common to just use the infinitive.

That said, al [infinitive] is a special construction, meaning upon. Thus in the sentence you provided, we can read it as

O'Rourke and Cruz secured their nominations upon winning the primary elections…

• A more common translation would be by winning. – Carlos Arturo Serrano Mar 17 '18 at 13:39
    @CarlosArturoSerrano that is certainly the more idiomatic rendering, but the OP is curious about al inf. generally, and since both Spanish and English distinguish temporal al/upon from causative por/by, I kept it with the temporal wording – user0721090601 Mar 17 '18 at 20:57
  • Thanks. I had been under the mistaken impression that verbs could only be used as nouns in past participle form. You didn't provide a link, but a search for "al infinitive" points me to articles like thoughtco.com/using-al-followed-by-an-infinitive-3079461 that confirm your explanation. – Patrick Dark Mar 18 '18 at 11:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.